Curriculum Intent Statement
We build better people through:
Developing the skills, knowledge and values to enable all students to be successful in their next steps.
At Smestow these skills and values are:
- Subject Specific Skills (AOs) which differ between subjects.
- Transferable Skills
- Collaboration – Work with others to become more than the individuals in a group.
- Creativity – Think outside the box or find a new solution to a problem.
- Critical Thinking – Evaluating the strengths and limitations in a constructive way.
- Independence – Taking informed and well-reasoned decisions.
- Communication – Exchanging information in a way that is appropriate to the audience..
- Self-Management – Self-organisation and taking personal responsibility for choices.
- Respect – Having regard for the wishes and rights of others.
- Honesty – Communicating with truth.
- Resilience – The capacity to recover quickly from difficulty.
- Integrity – Actions are taken that are positive for yourself and others.
- Accountability – Taking responsibility for your actions.
Curriculum Implementation Statement
Pupils will study a broad range of subjects appropriate to their aspirations and take part in experiences to increase cultural capital and raise aspirations.
Year 7 and Year 8
Subject and skills content will build upon the foundations of KS2 and build towards success for their next steps in education and employment.
Bridges the gaps between the skills and knowledge achieved in Y8 to allow success in the next steps.
Key Stage 4 and 5
Accredited courses enabling students to be successful in national qualifications and preparing them for life beyond school. This is in addition to PHSE and RSE which prepares our students to prosper in their personal lives and to build character.
Curriculum Impact Statement
Pupils will leave Smestow with a broad range of skills, qualifications and experiences which will put them on a path towards social, cultural and economic prosperity.
Our teachers and leaders will have an intimate knowledge of their part of the curriculum and how it fits into the school curriculum.